Monday, August 16, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World The Movie


Well the day has finally come and gone, I have seen Scott Pilgrim, and I'm pissed. I'm pissed, not at the movie, but at you, World. How could you let this one pass. Honestly, 10 mil. and 5th place, not what this movie deserved. To get beaten by the expendables and eat pray love. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Scott Pilgrim does what those other films do in one package and it does so infinitely better. Superior action, comedy and romance. So slap your hand, then go buy a ticket and see this movie.


Right then, now that I have that out of my system, onto the review proper. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World succeeds in every element I have listed in my micro reviews. It is certainly made for the kinetic MTV generation with its fast cuts and furious action. There are few flaws to be found in this gem. If you enjoy video games at all you owe it to yourself to see this.

That said I can see how some might dislike the movie, it moves at an incredibly brisk pace, giving you no time to catch your breath as Scott jumps from one crazy situation to the next. Also there is no explanation for the insanity, we are expected to take it at face value. This didn't bother me at all and honestly I loved the insane vibe of Scott's world. The people who will have a problem with this are the same who cried fowl when Nolan didn't explain how the dream machine works in Inception.

I've said it several times before this but I adore the irreverent, surreal and referential humor in the books, and this translates beautifully into film. You can tell Edgar Wright had a blast making this. The editing also plays out wonderfully, and as fast as this film is that's really saying something. Jokes and references are played out with absolutely perfect timing.

Michael Cera plays a terrific Pilgrim. I'm a fan of his and was thrilled when the announced that he'd be the title character. First of all he's Canadian, like Scott, and second he is an incredibly sincere person, the character he's continually typecast as, yeah, that's him. It's gotten really popular to dis Cera, which sucks cause he honestly is a talented actor. Will people be so vocally disapproving of his regular awkward anti-lead when Arrested Development the movie happens… I doubt it.


Ramona is also great, she's mysterious and aloof. That hard exterior shines through, you can tell she doesn't want to get hurt but that she also cares for Scott. The movie takes the same arc as the book here, she starts as cold, but slowly you can start to see her true feelings for the Canadian slacker.

Scott Pilgrim is absolutely one of the best films of the years and instantly became one of my favorite films of all time. I was afraid it might spread itself to thin, but it balances all of its plates equally. Much in the vein of Shaun of the Dead (Rom-Com-Zom) SP V TW is a Vid-Rom-Act-Com. This movie was practically tailor made for me. A slacker romance with terrific action scenes, all built on a world of video game references and jokes.

I can't say enough good things about this movie, and I'm going to see it again soon. Hopefully I'll be able to better organize my thoughts after another viewing. So I may post another review, but if I don't then take these words to heart. Scott Pilgrim is both a good movie, and an awesome movie. This is a must see, please pass the Expendables and stay away from Eat Pray Love. WATCH SCOTT PILGRIM NOW.

1 comment:

  1. reasons why this movie did as bad as it did:
    1. Michael Cera; This kid can only play one character and only one character.
    2. limited advertisement; self-explanatory, the movie did not get a lot of hype by anyone or anything, all it had was ads on TV and that's it.
    3. Critics; critics all over the web saw this movie as a hipster movie, and automatically saw it as a bad thing, instead of seeing it as just another genre, they killed the reputation of the movie on web and did not give the movie any credit for it's amazing work.
    Personally i was kinda of forced to see it, it was either this or "the other guys" and there is no way i am ever going to see another movie with Will Ferrell in it. critics on web really had killed my interest in watching this movie. but i was amazed to see that the movie was the greatest video game movie of all time. and they not only were able to make the only good video game movie of all time they actually succeeded in creating seven different, complex, and believable villains.

    ReplyDelete