Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back in my day: Gamerzines

No that thing in the title is not a disease. It's Gamer Magazines, todays subject, after a brief shout out...

Well, character design seems to be quite the topic here lately. Extra Credits (a fantastic game commentary series that is right up there with Zero Punctuation) just did a video on characterization (watch it here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1946-No-Redeeming-Value). They really did a great job of deconstructing Kratos from God of War fame and showing both his strengths and weaknesses as a character.

That aside, I would like to move on to the topic at hand. I miss magazines. Now I know there are still quite a few publications out there for gaming, but the fact of the matter is the internet has come in and destroyed this industry. Gamers just don't buy magazines anymore because you can get the information sooner and for free on the World Wide Web. So what's the problem you ask? Perhaps it's just personal preference but honestly I miss the soul and personality the magazines had.


I suppose a lot of this is based on nostalgia, like opening up a booster pack of Pokemon cards, eagerly flipping through them to see if there was a rare card. There was just something incredible about getting a PSM (The unofficial and wholly awesome Playstation Magazine) in the mail every month. Flipping through, reading the articles that interested me first, then going back till I had read the entire thing cover to cover. It helped me learn not only about the games I was interested in, but also ones I had never heard of before (which is a chore online).

Sadly, magazines have gone the way of the Dreamcast. Back in the day you had your choice of magazines: Official, Unofficial, Multi Platform, Cheats. It was a renaissance for people like me, who adore the printed word. I could go to the grocery store several times a week and come home with a different magazine every time! Though in that case, perhaps it is a good thing that gaming magazines have slowed down, because I doubt I could have woo'd my bride while buying EGM, PSM, or OPM.

The current power house is Game Informer, which I must admit, I plan on subscribing to after the wedding. I want that little bit of nostalgia, but I know that GI doesn't have nearly the same heart and soul (nowadays) as the old rags. It doesn't help that it is owned by GameStop (or a subsidiary) gamings poison well that for some ridiculous reason we continue to drink from.

For the time being game magazines are dead, but perhaps not gone. The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/) is a web magazine, it feels more like a rag then say IGN.com but again, it's just not the same as the thought and process that is put into a real magazines layout and design. Perhaps e-readers and tab computers will bring a resurgence into this industry. I wouldn't mind paying a fee for a well built and edited article hub. Alas, that seems quite far off at the moment. Until then I'll just have to flip through my back issues of PSM and EGM and reminisce about the good 'ol days, when every game that had an article seemed awesome.


A brief end note while I'm on the topic of nostalgia. A favorite game store of mine is under the gun. Games 4 U has long been a part of my gaming life, (and has gotten infinitely better since new management). It's a one stop shop for everything gaming related, old and new. A Game Stop is opening up across the street, let's show the suits they can't tread on us. Here's the website: http://www.games4uoc.com/ If you live in the OC then show your support! Shop local and avoid GameStop like the plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment